The aroma of homemade sourdough wafting through your home is one of life’s simple pleasures. Yet, keeping a sourdough starter can be intimidating and time-consuming. It may sound impossible, but we found a way to have fresh-baked sourdough, no homemade starter required! Our Shortcut Sourdough Boule has all the tanginess of sourdough—not to mention a chewy, open crumb and crunchy crust—but instead of building your own starter, the recipe calls for Platinum®Instant Sourdough Yeast from Red Star®. Made with dried sourdough starter, commercial yeast, and dough strengtheners, this revolutionary product guarantees rich sourdough flavor while letting you skip the starter. It’s sourdough made simple.
- 4½ cups (572 grams) bread flour
- 1 (0.63-ounce) package (18 grams) Platinum® Instant Sourdough Yeast from Red Star®
- 1 tablespoon (9 grams) kosher salt
- 1¾ cups (420 grams) warm water (105°F/41°C to 110°F/43°C)
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, combine flour, instant sourdough, and salt. Add 1¾ cups (420 grams) warm water, and beat at medium-low speed until a sticky dough forms, about 30 seconds. Cover and let rise in a warm, draft-free place (75°F/24°C) for 2 hours. Refrigerate for at least 2 hours.
- Line a sheet pan with parchment paper, and generously dust with bread flour.
- Turn out dough onto a floured surface. Gently stretch and fold bottom third over to center. Stretch right side out, and fold right third over to center; repeat with left side. Finish by folding top third over previous folds. Roll loaf away from you, and using both hands, cup dough and pull it toward you to seal. Turn dough 180 degrees, and pull again until a tight, smooth, oval boule forms. (To shape dough into a round boule for a round Dutch oven, see Shaping Boule on page 37.) Place dough seam side down on prepared pan. Cover and let rise in a warm, draft-free place (75°F/24°C) for 1 hour. (Alternatively, place dough on prepared pan; cover and refrigerate overnight. The next day, remove dough from refrigerator, and let rise in a warm, draft-free place [75°F/24°C] for 1 hour.)
- When dough has 30 minutes left to rise, place a 5- to 7-quart oval enamel-coated Dutch oven and lid in cold oven. Preheat oven to 500°F (260°C)
- Using a lame or razor blade score top of loaf Carefully remove hot Dutch oven from oven; remove lid and place dough still on parchment in Dutch oven Cover with lid and place back in oven
- Immediately reduce oven temperature to 425°F (220°C) Bake for 30 minutes Remove lid and bake until an instant-read thermometer inserted in center registers 205°F (96°C) 10 to 15 minutes more Immediately remove loaf from Dutch oven and let cool completely on a wire rack.